Friday, January 21, 2011

Get Inspired

‘You owe it to us all to get on with what you’re good at.’ ~W. H. Auden

Yesterday as I walked among the mass of humanity near Union Square in downtown San Francisco, a man with a megaphone and a “Trust Jesus” sign started preaching the good word to the crowd.

He was ignored of course, but what caught my attention was his radiant smile, and his evident energy and enthusiasm.

Say what you want about him (he’s possibly a little crazy), this man was so much more excited about something than any of the holiday shoppers walking boredly by him.

He was inspired, moved to get up on a soapbox and do something!

How many of us can claim to be that excited about anything we do? If you don’t get excited by what you do, why not? Is it something we can change?

I can honestly say I am excited by what I do. Not to the point where I’m screaming about it on a street corner (though you can argue what I do here on Zen Habits isn’t much different than that), but excited nonetheless.

What most people are missing is inspiration, and the conviction that they are doing something good, that might change the lives of others.

This week, with the spirit of these wonderful holidays all around you, find inspiration.

Find something that moves you.

Get inspired, and stand up and sing Hallelujah! (video via Shawn Blanc)

Then go out and do something good.

I promise you, it will change your life.

A friend who I believe is truly excited about the things he’s doing is Scott Dinsmore, who I’ve had the honor of going on some amazing runs with the last couple months here in San Francisco.

Scott is applying for a blogging job, to be a happiness blogger, and while there are other worthy applicants, I would love to see him get it. Please, take the time to vote for him.

Scott is a humble, thoughtful, compassionate, sincere person, and while I think he’ll go on to do great things whether he gets this job or not, he deserves this. Vote for him, then get inspired by him on his blog.

Someone else doing good things is Sam of Financial Samurai. He helped start the Yakezi Scholarship, which helps promising students who need the help. Go there, donate, but more importantly if you know a student who could use the help, have them apply today!


il Tweet, il Volto Libro (Facebook)


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment