Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What my 11-month-old can teach you about achieving success


How many times have you set out to do something, and when it doesn't matter to after the 1st or 2nd attempt work, you decide that you're not good at, you'll never learn how to do it, or it is not for you?

I often hear a story similar to this of women just before I begin coaching with them. Some examples:

-"2 Weeks ago I posted my online dating profile, and while I've emailed with a couple of guys, I still haven't met someone I want to go on a date with. The online dating thing will never work for me! "

-"I followed with this Outlook client, but they never replied. I think they are not interested in my service or product. "

-"I want to write a memoir, but have spent a month and cant get through the design of the first chapter. Maybe I'm not meant to write about my adventures! "

In each of these cases, the individual specified hope or enthusiasm for something that they really, really want, just because they did not achieve in full right away. Instead of viewing their attempt, exactly as it is: just, an attempt that didn't work out, they create a story about himself: I'll never meet someone to date; This client will never interested in my services; I will never be able to write this book.

The truth is, it's your story that will keep you from accomplishing the things that you want to achieve in life-not your skills, or even your circumstances!

I learn this and relearn every time, just by observing my 11-month-old daughter, Penina. Like most babies, Penina has a zest for life and curiosity, and want to do and everything to try. However, it is a rare case that her goal is reached at her first attempt.

I'll give you an example: last week, Penina was figuring out how to sit on himself a new crank that was given to her. I watched as she her little legs up and down, moved here the affixing of an arm or experimenting with another arm there. Just as she was about to success, Penina lost her balance, fell over and beat her chin. I drove to make sure she was okay. She was a little bleeding and called for a moment. And when she did the most amazing thing: they crawled out of my arms and straight back to her stool to complete what she had set out to do.

Penina could continue to exist and its purpose is not complete because they do not judge for yourself not the achievement of full success in her first attempt. In fact, I think the challenge is what made it more interesting for her!

Think about a baby you know-chances are they don't walk or talk or feed themselves on their first try. But they don't let that get in their way! She kept tapping into their curiosity and working at it and working at it and tweak their strategy (and perhaps got support and assistance of parents and others) until they achieved success.

And, of course, as adults, we know that every one of their efforts was part of their process of achieving success-each attempt, they learned something new about accomplishing what they wanted to achieve.

An important step on the road to success and satisfaction is to be able to let your passion, enthusiasm and interest in your project or purpose are larger and more powerful than any story that you on your small-ness or your inability to make.

How many ideas, capabilities, relationships or projects have you allowed to pass you by because you chose to use your not achieve success on your first attempt as proof that you were not able or intended to do it?

Today, I ask you to be inspired by my 11-month-old daughter and look at your goals with fresh, new eyes. Tap into your curiosity and passion and go for it!

Your soulful Coaching call to action!

Contact your passion > and your curiosity for your project or purpose

Measure your progress-even if you are not completely your goal on your first go around, take note of what you have accomplished and what you've learned for next time around to complete

Let go of your self judgement or the self-criticism when you notice that your "story" you returned from the persisting keeps

Search for support when you intuitively feel it would be easier to achieve your goal with someone else offering suggestions, accountability or just plain old business!








Joanna Lindenbaum, M.A., has 12 years of teaching and coaching experience. She invites women to think bigger, to embrace their power, engaging and exciting goals. Its customers achieve extraordinary success in business, career and life.

For receiving of Joanna's free eCourse, how to overcome the 5 obstacles to success, http://www.soulfulcoach.com visit


No comments:

Post a Comment